Thursday, January 9, 2014

FoodBook: Penny University


Penny University has a strange, strange name and a good, good reputation, so about half a billion years ago, CJ and I decided to pay this increasingly-famous cafe a visit! (Yes, this post is backdated to the point of prehistory. Sigh procrastination at its finest.) Apparently Penny University is named this way because:
"Penny University is a term that originated from 18th century coffeehouses in London, England. For the price of a penny, one had access to coffee, the company of people from all levels of society, discussions, bulletins, newspapers and the latest gossip." (I did my research)
Unfortunately, we paid way more than the price of a penny.

We picked Penny U primarily because it is all the way in the east, and CJ unfortunately stays all the way in the east *grumpy face* Sidenote, he gave me three "passes" to visit cafes in December because my cafe spree is getting out of hand, and I haven't used all three so.. HAH. TAKE THAT. /smug

Because we had lunch prior to visiting, we opted for their cake and coffee instead. Singular, because we only ordered a cake, a coffee, and a milk.

I mean, babycino. 

Please excuse the dismal photography, we were located at an unfortunately dark corner of the cafe.

Banaoffee whatsitsname

The banana toffee pie was surprisingly good. And by surprising, I mean really surprising. At first glance, we weren't expecting the cake to be so good. But it easily saved the rest of our orders that day.

The banana cream was smooth and sweet - not overly done so, but lustrously. The crust was just the right thickness and had a good amount of flake, so no complaints there! :) The only qualm I have is that some of the toffee bits were a bit too big and made the pie hard to chew, rather than give it a nice crunch.

Babycino

So here's the story behind the babycino. And my tantrum.

We were standing there, by the cashier, when we realized that the menu did not display anything other than several variations of espresso. I'm the kind who likes my coffee sweet, so of course espresso didn't appeal to me. But there were no other drinks on the menu (flat white? latte??) so we had to pick from the little choices we had. 

On hindsight, we should have asked the barista if they had other drinks because it is impossible for a coffeehouse to not have any other type of coffee besides espresso. But we didn't (le sigh) and being very, very typically Singaporean, just ordered whatever we saw in front of us. CJ went for their famous muddy espresso. I stood firm on my no-espresso grounds, and went for a babycino. The basrista told me it was just steamed milk, marshmallows and a dusting of cocoa powder, and then looked at me incredulously when I ordered it, but in my head I was yelling "I DON'T SEE ANYTHING ELSE ON THE MENU, DO YOU!!!" 

Negative encounter number 1. Penny U, please include the other drinks you make in your menu :(

The babycino was alright.. I did like the marshmallows though. Imagine my dismay when I finished all the marshmallows and was left with a $4 cup of warm milk :(

Babycino, muddy espresso, banaanannoffee pie

The muddy espresso was really too bitter for me. Perhaps if you're an espresso kind of person, trying the muddy espresso would be interesting.
It wasn't a very good visit, but it wasn't all that bad either. I would rate it average? It doesn't seem to live up to the hype though. Oh well, maybe we should try their brunch menu the next time around.

PENNY UNIVERSITY
Address402 East Coast Road
Singapore 428997
Phone+65 9008 9314
Opening HoursTue - Thu: 0830 - 1800
Fri & Sat: 0830 - 0000
Sun: 0830 - 2100
Taro PointsMarshmallows on the Babycino...

-


#ootd for the day! Mega casual attire, oversized pikachu tee + my new polkadot high waist shorts from Sassydream! :) I think I'm beginning to regret this purchase though hahah. I need to stop making impulse buys :(( 

But I do believe that comfy attires are the way to go!! :D (it's an excuse for my wearing slippers everywhere)

School's starting the coming Monday, and I am just increasingly swamped with trainings and school prep. No idea if I will still be able to visit nice places on a whim and shop till my bank account drops (not that I even have that much in the first place... *woe*) but it is going to be one tough semester. On a related note, I've been obsessively writing about how I need to pull my CAP, and I'm happy to say I've finally managed to do it!!! *confetti confetti* 

Pray Sem 2 will be as kind to me, and to you as well :)

No comments: